• This marks the second year for TSU head coach Johnny Jones. Jones went 24-14 in his inaugural year as head coach with three Power 5 conference wins. TSU fell in the finals of the 2019 SWAC Tournament and competed in the CIT. TSU advanced to the semifinals of the CIT last season.
• TSU has to replace three key starters from last year’s squad but has several returnees who had made starts last year that will have to step up. Point guard Tyrik Armstong, shooting guard John Jones and forward Eden Ewing will be counted on to lead the charge as Armstrong and Jones are top returning scorers while Ewing is the top returning rebounder.
• Head coach Johnny Jones is 74-70 all-time in the month of January and 5-3 at TSU.
• Jones is 2-0 lifetime against Alcorn State and 2-0 against ASU’s Montez Robinson. Over the course of his career, TSU’s Johnny Jones is 32-6 lifetime against teams from the SWAC.
• Alcorn State was picked ninth in the SWAC preseason poll. Four players average double figures as Maurice Howard leads the team with 14.6 ppg. Kobe Wilson is the Braves’ top rebounder with six per game. ASU head coach Montez Robinson has yet to defeat TSU in nine tries as TSU has won 25 straight over ASU dating back to 2009.
• TSU takes the term “home, sweet home” to heart as the Tigers are 96-22 inside the H&PE Arena since 2008. TSU has won nine-plus games at home every year since the 2010-11 season.
• TSU was picked second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference preseason poll as senior forward Eden Ewing was named to the All-SWAC Preseason First Team. Ewing was granted a sixth year of eligibility in the summer.