• This marks the second year for TSU head coach Johnny Jones. Jones went 24-14 in his inaugural year as head coach with three Power 5 conference wins. TSU fell in the finals of the 2019 SWAC Tournament and competed in the CIT. TSU advanced to the semifinals of the CIT last season.
• TSU has to replace three key starters from last year’s squad but has several returnees who had made starts last year that will have to step up. Point guard Tyrik Armstong, shooting guard John Jones and forward Eden Ewing will be counted on to lead the charge as Armstrong and Jones are top returning scorers while Ewing is the top returning rebounder.
• Head coach Johnny Jones is 74-71 all-time in the month of January and 5-4 at TSU.
• Jones is 1-2 lifetime against Prairie View A&M and PVAMU’s Byron Smith. Over the course of his career, TSU’s Johnny Jones is 32-7 lifetime against teams from the SWAC.
• Prairie View A&M was picked to win the conference in the SWAC preseason poll. Three players average double figures as Devonte Patterson leads the way with 14.3 points in seven games while Gerard Andrus follows with 13.9 points and 12 points from Darius Williams. Lenell Henry is the top rebounder with 6.3 rebounds per game.
• Since 2013, TSU is 11-5 against PVAMU and has won four straight games inside the H&PE Arena against the Panthers. PVAMU’s last against TSU at TSU was in 2015.
• TSU takes the term “home, sweet home” to heart as the Tigers are 96-23 inside the H&PE Arena since 2008. TSU has won nine-plus games at home every year since the 2010-11 season.
• TSU was picked second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference preseason poll as senior forward Eden Ewing was named to the All-SWAC Preseason First Team. Ewing was granted a sixth year of eligibility in the summer.