• The Texas Southern women’s basketball team is back in action at Rice Wednesday evening at Tudor Fieldhouse for a 6 p.m. tip-off.
• Both teams will meet for the first time since 2019 and this marks the first trip to Rice for TSU since 2018. The series dates back to 1978 between both teams.
• Fourth-year head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke is back on the TSU sidelines for the third straight season. She led TSU to the SWAC Regular Season Championship for the first time in school history in 2012-13 in addition to a second-place finish in 2019-20. The team made it to the semifinals of the SWAC Tournament (before COVID-19) in 2020 and a quarterfinals appearance in 2021.
• TSU will keep its bags packed as the first 10 games on the schedule are on the road. TSU’s first home contest isn’t until Wednesday, Dec. 22 against Virginia.
• TSU will face off against teams from six conferences in 2021-22. TSU will square off against teams from the Pac-12 (4), ACC, Conference USA, SEC, American and Big 12.
• Cooper-Dyke is 2-1 all-time against Rice as she faced them twice while at Prairie View A&M.
• Rice is 11-9 lifetime against TSU and 36-15 against the SWAC as they’ve played Alcorn State, Grambling State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View A&M, Southern and TSU.
• TSU was picked to finish sixth while guard Ataiya Bridges was named to the 2021-22 Preseason All-SWAC Second Team. The Tigers feature a revamped roster with 12 newcomers and five letterwinners returning.