SWAC Teleconference Audio | GAMEDAYGuide
Texas Southern Athletics | @TXSOTigers
texas southern continues its road stand with a trip down Interstate 10 East for its first-ever match-up against the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Saturday evening.
• Head coach Clarence McKinney and Louisiana head coach Billy Napier
• Saturday's contest will feature live audio on KTSU 90.9 FM and will be shown on ESPN3.
• The Tigers feature a new head coach in Clarence McKinney.
• Clarence McKinney is the 17th head coach in the history of Texas Southern football. McKinney has a task ahead as the program has only had 28 winning seasons in 73 years of existence and hasn't recorded a winning season since 2000.
• Saturday's game marks the first of two trips TSU will make to the state of Louisiana this season. TSU will head to grambling state on Nov. 2.
• Texas Southern is playing a team from the Sun Belt Conference for the second straight year as they played Texas State last season. Prior to 2018, TSU last played former Sun Belt member North Texas in 2012.
• This marks the third FBS team in two seasons TSU will face as they played houston and Texas State last fall. Prior to 2018, TSU's last FBS opponent was in 2012.
• TSU has scored 67 points in its first two games this season. It took three games last season for the Tigers to score 60-plus points.
TSU has received a pair of solid performances from freshman running back LaDarius Owens. Owens has come close to surpassing the 100-yard mark in his first two games with performances of 94 and 95 yards, respectively.
Florida Atlantic transfer and “Last Chance U” alum DeAndre Johnson has passed for 590 yards and five touchdowns in two games. Four more touchdowns would mark the most TDs thrown by a quarterback at TSU since 2016.
Freshman placekicker Richard Garcia III has four field goals currently which is more field goals than all of 2018 combined for the Tigers.
Wide receiver Tren'Davian Dickson is on the verge of something special if he keeps up his current pace. Dickson, who amassed 221 yards receiving on Sept. 7, has caught 16 passes for 297 yards and three touchdowns with a long of 87 yards. Last year, he caught 46 passes for 796 yards.
The Tigers are off next weekend and will return to action at houston baptist on Sept. 28.
BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW
• TSU was formally established in 1947 with a mission to establish a credible college for African-American students.
• Texas Southern University (TSU) is one of the nation's largest historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs). TSU provides a first class educational experience, offering over 120 baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degree programs in nine schools and colleges. The University has assets exceeding $250 million and currently has over 10,800 students enrolled.
• The Thurgood Marshall School of Law, was created as a consequence of a 1946 lawsuit brought by Heman M. Sweatt. Under the Texas Constitution, which required separate but equal treatment, Mr. Sweatt was refused admission to the University of Texas School of Law because he was black. As a result, the legislature provided for an interim and separate law school for Negroes.
•Good Morning America host and NFL Hall of Famer Michael Strahan played at TSU from 1989-92.