• Texas Southern closes out non-conference play on the road versus the Aggies of Texas A&M Monday night at 7 p.m. This will be a busy stretch for the Tigers as this marks the second game over a 10-day span.
• This marks the second year for TSU head coach Johnny Jones. Jones went 24-14 in his inaugural year as head coach with three Power 5 conference wins. TSU fell in the finals of the 2019 SWAC Tournament and competed in the CIT. TSU advanced to the semifinals of the CIT last season.
• TSU has to replace three key starters from last year’s squad but has several returnees who had made starts last year that will have to step up. Point guard Tyrik Armstong, shooting guard John Jones and forward Eden Ewing will be counted on to lead the charge as Armstrong and Jones are top returning scorers while Ewing is the top returning rebounder.
• Head coach Johnny Jones is 82-48 all-time in the month of December and 3-8 at TSU.
• Jones is 0-3 lifetime against Texas A&M’s Buzz Williams. Jones dropped a pair to Williams as head coach at North Texas while Williams was at New Orleans. Williams claimed a win as head coach at Marquette while Jones was at LSU.
•Williams is 10-0 all-time against the SWAC with only one meeting all-time against TSU. He faced TSU in 2008 while at Marquette and won 85-68.
• Texas A&M is 42-3 all-time against the SWAC as the only team they haven’t faced is Alabama State. Southern has two wins against Texas A&M while TSU has one win.
• TSU was picked second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference preseason poll as senior forward Eden Ewing was named to the All-SWAC Preseason First Team. Ewing was granted a sixth year of eligibility in the summer while forward John Walker III was granted a waiver to participate immediately after spending the past season at Texas A&M University.
• Three of TSU’s first three opponents (San Diego State, Wichita State, Arkansas) are ranked in the Ken Pomeroy Basketball Ratings Top 40 and three of the final four non-conference opponents are also ranked in the top 100 (Nevada, Oregon, Arizona State).