Late Run By Grambling State Turns Tide For Men’s Basketball

A 17-6 run over the final five minutes of the game was the difference as TSU fell 85-72 on Wednesday night inside the H&PE Arena.
For the second straight game, TSU found itself shorthanded as two starters were out which forced the entire bench to play early in order to limit fatigue and to counter Grambling’s depth.
The first half was evenly contested as there were 10 lead changes and three ties. With six minutes left, TSU held a 29-28 lead after Davon Barnes’ three-pointer but Grambling State forced three TSU turnovers over the final 4:14 while getting to the free throw line as it sparked an 11-5 run en route to a 41-34 halftime lead. TSU only went 2-of-8 from the field during that span while GSU was 3-of-6.
The second half was about stops as every time TSU attempted to make a run Grambling State was there to counter as both teams scored eight points to open the first five minutes. Grambling led 49-42 at the 15:30 mark but TSU would fight back and get within 52-51 after Kehlin Farooq’s three-pointer. However, Grambling State’s Tra’Michael Moton countered with a jumper right after to move the Tigers ahead 54-51 with 12:48 remaining.
TSU would finally crack the ceiling and take a 57-56 lead after another Farooq jumper but GSU’s Cameron Christon answered with a dunk and a missed TSU layup led to a GSU three-pointer and a 61-57 GSU lead at the 10:21 mark. A John Walker III bucket cut the lead to 61-60 with 8:53 left but Grambling State fought back with five points to remain ahead 66-60 nearly a minute later.
TSU outscored GSU 6-3 over the next 1:49 as they cut the gap to 68-66 after Jordan Gilliam’s three-pointer off a Zytarious Mortle steal. Grambling State was fouled on the next possession and hit 1-of-2 but TSU missed a three-pointer to tie it up. Both teams missed baskets but Grambling State was the next to answer as Christon scored a layup for a 71-66 lead. GSU scored again but TSU stayed within 73-68 after a Mortle layup but that would be the closest TSU would get the rest of the night as GSU outscored TSU 12-4 from that point to seal the win as a 6-2 GSU run was the difference over a span of 1:29 to create separation.
Mortle scored 20 points to lead TSU while also netting five steals and four rebounds. Barnes and Walker III added 15 each while Farooq scored 10.
TSU is on the road for the next two games beginning with a 3 p.m. contest at Arkansas-Pine Bluff live HBCUGO TV.



TigerFans was established in 1997 and expanded to the web in 2012 to serve the Texas Southern University Tigers Athletics Fans. We cover all things TSU including TSU Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, Bowling, & Track & Field.