Volleyball Preview: Texas Southern

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
Texas Southern
2012 RECORD: 15-15 (6-2 SWAC) / 2nd West Division

Head Coach: Jocelyn Adams

KEY LOSSES:
Gabrielle Gray - OH

Despite the loss of Gabrielle Gray, Texas Southern will enter the 2013 season as legitimate contenders for the Western Division title. TSU closed out the regular season winning five of its last six games before suffering an elimination in postseason play.

Under head coach Jocelyn Adams, the Lady Tigers return key components that helped TSU finish in the top three in the SWAC in blocks (182.5), hitting percentage (.197), and opponent hitting percentage (.184).

Read the rest: http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=209051860

Nelson pid=298 dateline=1376392757 said:
Texas Southern
2012 RECORD: 15-15 (6-2 SWAC) / 2nd West Division

Head Coach: Jocelyn Adams

KEY LOSSES:
Gabrielle Gray - OH

Despite the loss of Gabrielle Gray, Texas Southern will enter the 2013 season as legitimate contenders for the Western Division title. TSU closed out the regular season winning five of its last six games before suffering an elimination in postseason play.

Under head coach Jocelyn Adams, the Lady Tigers return key components that helped TSU finish in the top three in the SWAC in blocks (182.5), hitting percentage (.197), and opponent hitting percentage (.184).

Read the rest: http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=209051860
I'm one of the few guys who actually enjoys and follow volleyball ever since my high school started going to state ever year while I was there so I attended many games to support my school and especially my cousin (the only black girl) who was one of the star players.

And I have to say I am less than impressed with Ms. Jocelyn and what I see with the direction of the VB program.  Not only was I not impressed with the recruiting efforts for the 2013 season but I was dumbfounded by the fact that I couldn't find any news stories about our team playing in any international leagues over the summer ..... every reputable and serious college VB program enters an international VB tournament somewhere (Canada, Italy, DR, Brazil). A simple google search proves my truth. And also the tempo is still too slow. A good college VB team is consistently fast with mostly quick sets. So hopefully somebody relays this message to her, in order to do better you must first identify the problem.

But with all that being said, based on the clips and games I've watched online.  I do think we're going to be competitive in the SWAC and this will be the best year in recent history to make a serious run for the SWAC Championship if everyone is healthy.  R. Shannon is a decent and exciting OH and I'm expecting her to really carry the team with her energy.  However, they need to be looking not just to compete well in the SWAC as Ms. Jocelyn stated but they need to be looking to compete well nationally as well.  Most of their wins shouldn't just be coming from the SWAC, it should be more than a few non-SWAC teams too.

Back