TxSU Attendance and Support

TXSUDFWTIGER

I was excited today when I discovered a site such as this for authentic TSU alums, students, and supporters. It's well put together and just a good site.

However, I feel #TeamTSU has a long way to go but then again maybe we're closer than I think .....

Yesterday, I was talking to a fellow TSU alum who lives outside of Texas and she mentioned we should look into traveling to the homecoming football game this fall. But I told her I don't know if that's a good idea b/c last year it looked as if less than 5,000 people attended and it lacked the pageantry, buzz, and school spirit I was expecting for it. My high school homecoming football games were more turnt up than what I witnessed last year, there were always a lot to see and a large student/alumni turn out so my expectations are always high for TSU. I told her the only games that will likely be fun & have a large TSU turn out that we should attend this season is the PV and SU home games.

So what is it going to take for TxSU to pack out the stadiums and show support like I see at other colleges? Well I feel like we are closer to that now than ever with the new academic and athletic leadership. But I still think there needs to be a serious effort from the University to re-engage more alumni and better market TSU locally, state-wide, and nationally to recruit better student-athletes and create a buzz for our athletic programs.

We do have a lot going for ourselves so it shouldn't be all that hard. TSU is one of the largest HBCUs in the nation and growing in ever facet, we have quality athletic facilities, we have the best marching band in the land, and we're in Houston (a big sports city and popular destination).

So what you think about this TxSU fam?

homecoming will not be well attended until it is back on campus as people prefer to tailgate on campus until we can move all of our sports on campus they will not be well attended just my two cents

tsuball10 said:
homecoming will not be well attended until it is back on campus as people prefer to tailgate on campus until we can move all of our sports on campus they will not be well attended just my two cents

You might be on to something tsuball10 ... I remember the homecoming games on campus between 2005-2008 and we packed it out but then again the stadium was smaller. But I would say at least 10K was in attendance every year if not more (I remember seeing some TSU fans following the game from their cars/tailgate area on the radio b/c the stadium was too crowded).

But there is tailgating at the BBVA. However, the BBVA has more stringent rules & you must purchase a tailgating permit due to downtown ordinances but none the less you can tailgate.

Below is the tailgating policies for BBVA:
http://bbvacompassstadium.com/tailgating-policies-procedures

And to me the BBVA is not far from campus at all, I think it literally took me less than 10 minutes to get there from the TSU area. But I think the biggest problem may be Tiger football needs to win more consistently first in order for TSU nation to show up in big numbers (think 2010 season) and it won't hurt to have more vendors out there too to attract and entertain before and after the games ... I don't ever remember seeing any TSU 'nalia vendors for sure. Rudley (we spoke personally several times), McClleland I hope you read this ..... uh what's up with that

I agree with @[tsuball10] in that it won't have the best attendance until the games are moved onto campus. The tailgating situation has been relaxed so far as of last year. Having to purchase a parking space is a nuisance, but you also have to purchase tailgating space on campus too when it's Homecoming, so that's not something that people should view negatively. The killer is having to LEAVE the stadium within 30 minutes or an hour (I can't remember) after the game is through. On campus people are there overnight into the next day for that particular game. At BBVA, this is not possible.

It's going to take winning, the MetroRail completion, and a ban at tailgating at TSU (not gonna happen) in order for BBVA to have a huge turnout at homecoming. That or some rules changes for that specific game to allow us to be out there at BBVA the night before.

I hear you Nelson, I do believe tailgating has been a noticeable aspect of TSU football for years (especially homecoming) however I don't think most fans actually indulge in it based on my oberservation .... I know for myself, I nowadays prefer to go eat at a nice restaurant or sports bar in the downtown area with friends before and after a TSU game oppose to tailgating.

Last year I went to a sports bar near the BBVA prior to the JSU game and had a fun time talking trash to some JSU alums who were attending the game. I also ran into other TSU fans there. On top of that the food was surprisingly off the chain, it was my first time there so I didn't know what to expect. But I always been told that Houston has some of the best sports bars in the country.

the goal is to become an elite program year in and year out look at every elite program in the country they have awsome tailgating not to compare us as they are in a league of their own but i will always believe we should have used that money for BBVA and fixed up durley field it can still be done but it will take alot of support from big money alumni and the regular alumni as well this is an effort i have been looking into for the baseball and softball teams and i am willing to support for all sports to be on campus

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I hear you Nelson, I do believe tailgating has been a noticeable aspect of TSU football for years (especially homecoming) however I don't think most fans actually indulge in it based on my oberservation .... I know for myself, I nowadays prefer to go eat at a nice restaurant or sports bar in the downtown area with friends before and after a TSU game oppose to tailgating.

Last year I went to a sports bar near the BBVA prior to the JSU game and had a fun time talking trash to some JSU alums who were attending the game. I also ran into other TSU fans there. On top of that the food was surprisingly off the chain, it was my first time there so I didn't know what to expect. But I always been told that Houston has some of the best sports bars in the country.
You're probably talking about Lucky's Pub if it was next to the stadium. I believe I was there myself that day.

I agree that tailgating has not been a big thing, but to keep things as they've always been done is to never progress. I like tailgating and it brings about a better gameday experience for me as a fan as well. For some, just being at a tailgate is more support than they've ever shown. For others, that's more of a reason to keep coming even during a losing season.

tsuball10 said:
the goal is to become an elite program year in and year out look at every elite program in the country they have awsome tailgating not to compare us as they are in a league of their own but i will always believe we should have used that money for BBVA and fixed up durley field it can still be done but it will take alot of support from big money alumni and the regular alumni as well this is an effort i have been looking into for the baseball and softball teams and i am willing to support for all sports to be on campus

I gotta be honest, I really like the BBVA venue for TSU Football. It's really close to the campus, public transportation runs into it, it's in a nice urban downtown location, and it's a state of the art stadium ... definitely helps in recruiting and recognition.

Besides I don't see where there's enough room to really build up Durley, but it was cool while it lasted though.

And the whole TSU baseball/softball venues is a thread in itself. I really don't see where they can build stadiums for them on campus unless they tear down Cuney Homes perhaps lol .... that's the only way I see it.

expansion... if we want to be top tier in both academics and sports we need to expand and upgrade with plans on building new dorm and a new library in the works its only right to take some of the land around the school such as the abandon houses etc i remember when slade was president and yates was in deep trouble the plan was to take yates and cuney homes and turn it into sports complex and dorms now the problem with that is people would prob get made saying that it would destroy the community but i bet if you took a survey of the community to see if they have paid to go to a tsu sporting even within the last 5 years that percentage would make you mad

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
tsuball10 said:

I gotta be honest, I really like the BBVA venue for TSU Football. It's really close to the campus, public transportation runs into it, it's in a nice urban downtown location, and it's a state of the art stadium ... definitely helps in recruiting and recognition.

Besides I don't see where there's enough room to really build up Durley, but it was cool while it lasted though.

And the whole TSU baseball/softball venues is a thread in itself. I really don't see where they can build stadiums for them on campus unless they tear down Cuney Homes perhaps lol .... that's the only way I see it.

TSU is expanding and I'm very happy about that. But I just don't think it's a good idea to tear down houses of low income families for the sake of a sports complex unless they properly compensate them (which I doubt they will). Corporate America has taken advantage of the poor for years & will continue to .... TSU is in cohorts with Corporate America so I know what will happen.

So again, I think it's best to have an official new baseball/softball complex at a nearby location off campus. TSU's urban campus is unique so we have unique situations when it comes to building expansions. It makes us that much more special, there's only one school like Texas Southern.

TSU is growing and is continuing to prosper. They're going to have to pull the Imminent Domain card out sometime within the next 5 years and those affected won't be happy about it. Many who support sTu and are from that area have moved out and up to improve their lives. Others that have stayed, especially those on the south/southwest area of campus are trying to hold onto those homes they have as much as possible. They know that growth from the Medical Center, TSU, and UH is coming their way.

Nelson said:
TSU is growing and is continuing to prosper. They're going to have to pull the Imminent Domain card out sometime within the next 5 years and those affected won't be happy about it. Many who support sTu and are from that area have moved out and up to improve their lives. Others that have stayed, especially those on the south/southwest area of campus are trying to hold onto those homes they have as much as possible. They know that growth from the Medical Center, TSU, and UH is coming their way.

I haven't heard any rumors about TSU possibly pulling the Imminent Domain card. New possible development to seriously look out for.

But I do think when the new dorm and science buildings are finish, we'll see enrollment increase exponentially almost immediately so they have to do something to accommodate them all ... on top of that sTu's Hispanic population continues to grow at an impressive rate each year (the fastest of any HBCU I read). So unprecedented growth in the near future is practically inevitable based on what's going on at TSU .... again they have to think of something soon enough to properly handle it all and avoid the student/teacher ratio being too high.

as long as rudley is president it is going to happen he wants to all freshman to be required to live on campus but he can not do that now because we do not have the facilities to house them all hence why they are building the new dorms and rebuilding richfield manor. at this moment they are working on trying to get 50% of freshman to live on campus and with imminent domain the people that it affects they have to receive at least market value for their property

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Nelson said:

I haven't heard any rumors about TSU possibly pulling the Imminent Domain card. New possible development to seriously look out for.

But I do think when the new dorm and science buildings are finish, we'll see enrollment increase exponentially almost immediately so they have to do something to accommodate them all ... on top of that sTu's Hispanic population continues to grow at an impressive rate each year (the fastest of any HBCU I read). So unprecedented growth in the near future is practically inevitable based on what's going on at TSU .... again they have to think of something soon enough to properly handle it all and avoid the student/teacher ratio being too high.

Back