• Texas Southern heads northwest to face #1 Oregon Saturday afternoon in Eugene, Ore. Saturday's game begins a busy stretch for the Tigers as they'll play four games in nine days.
• Second-year head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke returns to the TSU sidelines for the first time since 2011-12. She spent the 2011-12 season at TSU and led them to the SWAC Regular Season Championship for the first time in school history.
• Cynthia Cooper-Dyke's first season back at TSU is reminiscent of her first season as head coach at Prairie View A&M in 2005. Her first-ever game and win as a collegiate head coach was in Edinburg, Texas. A few weeks later, she traveled to Portland, Ore. to face Oregon. Ironically, both teams are on the schedule this season.
• Head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke is 36-33 all-time in the month of November and 2-5 at TSU.
• Cooper-Dyke is 33-51 all-time against the PAC-12 with the majority of games played while head coach at USC. Against Oregon, she's 4-5 with the first game in 2005 at Prairie View A&M and last in 2017 at USC.
• This marks the first-ever meeting between both schools as Oregon is 4-1 all-time against teams from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Oregon split a pair of games with Grambling State in 1989 and has defeated Southern and Prairie View A&M.
• Senior forward Niya Mitchell completed the trifecta as she was named the SWAC's Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year in addition to earning first team honors. A 5-10 senior from Bay City, Texas, Mitchell averaged a double-double last season, scoring 14.4 points and 10.7 rebounds per contest.
• TSU was picked fifth in the Southwestern Athletic Conference preseason poll after finishing the 2018-19 season in fifth.
Print Friendly Version
Courtesy: TSU Athletics