The Texas Southern men’s and women’s basketball teams travel to Alabama A&M for a key doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m.
• TSU women’s basketball is back in action on Saturday for a match-up at Alabama A&M beginning at 3 p.m. in Huntsville, Ala.
• Last time these two squads played in 2022, TSU held a 61-55 lead with 8:18 to go before the end of the game, but Bulldogs would go on an 8-2 run to tie the game at 63-63 with 4:55 to go. An 8-4 run close out the game would give the victory to the Bulldogs.
• Micah Gray earned her second SWAC Player of the Week honor of her freshman campaign after setting a school-record 41-point performance against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Jan. 7 then helping the Tigers earn their first win of the season with a 24-point, 5-rebound and 3-steal performance on Jan. 9 against Mississipi Valley State.
• Micah Gray’s 33 against Central Florida was the fourth highest single-game performance in at least the last 12 years.
• Micah Gray (18.9) and Adriana Avent (15.2) first and sixth, respectively, in scoring amongst SWAC leaders. Jaida Belton ranks tenth in rebounding (5.9) while Kamryn Bates is third in assists (3.3).
• Andriana Avent was named the SWAC Player of the Week for the second time season after averaging 17 points last weekend. She was also named player of the week on Nov. 30 after recording double-digits against Rice (22) and Ole Miss (13). She surpassed the 500-point career mark at TSU in the loss against Ole Miss.
• TSU head coach Vernette Skeete inherits a program which fined fourth in the SWAC last season and fell in the first round of the 2022 SWAC Tournament on a late putback. This year’s roster, which has been picked to finish eighth in the SWAC, is drastically different with nine newcomers and six returnees. Six of the nine newcomers are true freshmen.
• Andriana Avent is TSU’s lone All-SWAC returnee as she was a scoring machine for TSU during her first season. She averaged 18.1 points in 23 games played. Avent has scored in double figures in 24 consecutive games dating back to the non-conference finale at USC on Dec. 18, 2021. Avent had nine games with 20-plus points, including four with 30-plus including a season-high 35 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Jan. 8.
• TSU has faced off against teams from seven conferences in 2022-23. TSU will square off against teams from the American (2), Sun Belt (1), Conference USA (2), SEC (2), WAC (2), ACC and Pac-12.
• Texas Southern is looking for its first winning streak of the year as they’ll head to Huntsville, Ala. to face Alabama A&M on Saturday evening in the AAMU Events Center at 5 p.m.
• The injury bug has infected TSU in a big way as the team was down two key starters in every SWAC game until Jan. 16. TSU returned one huge starter (Karl Nicholas) for that game and it helped tremendously as the Tigers snapped their five-game SWAC slid.
• Jones is 8-0 lifetime against Alabama A&M. • TSU has dominated the series against Alabama A&M recently as the Tigers have won 17 straight and 28 of the past 29 match-ups. AAMU’s last win over TSU was on Feb. 1, 2014.
• This marks the fifth year for TSU head coach Johnny Jones. TSU made its third consecutive postseason under Jones and second straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2021-22. Jones went 24-14 in his inaugural year as head coach with three Power 5 conference wins. TSU fell in the finals of the 2019 SWAC Tournament and advanced to the semifinals of the CIT in 2019. In 2019-20, the Tigers made it back to the semifinals of the SWAC Tournament after a third-place regular season finish but saw the season end abruptly due to COVID-19. TSU won the SWAC Tournament and First Four contest in 2021 and was the first SWAC team to beat a ranked opponent from the SEC in 2021 at Florida.
• TSU has faced off against teams from nine Division I conferences in 2022-23. TSU squares off against teams from the WCC, Big 12 (2), Pac-12, Summit, SoCon, American, SEC, Big South and CAA. TSU also hosted a pair of NAIA institutions in December. • For the first time since 2002, TSU spent a considerable amount of time at home during non-conference play with four home games during its 2022-23 non-conference schedule.
• Jones is 88-81 all-time in the month of January and 19-14 at TSU.
• For the third straight season, the Texas Southern men’s basketball team was picked to finish first in the Southwestern Athletic Conference while the duo of Karl Nicholas and John Walker III both earned preseason honors. Nicholas was tabbed the SWAC’s Preseason Defensive Player of the Year.