• Texas Southern returns to action this weekend as they'll head to the Alamo City to face the University of the Incarnate Word. This marks the first time in series history both teams will meet on the gridiron.
• Head coach Clarence McKinney and UIW Eric Morris share a past as both were on the staff at the University of Houston. Morris was an offensive graduate assistant while McKinney was the team's running backs coach. The offensive coordinator at the time was current Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury.
• Saturday's contest will feature live audio on KTSU 90.9 FM and will be shown on ESPN+.
• The Tigers feature a new head coach in Clarence McKinney. A Houston native, McKinney attended high school across the street at Jack Yates High School and played collegiately at Montana State and the University of Mary. He also served as head coach at Yates before joining the staffs at Houston, Texas A&M and Arizona.
• Clarence McKinney is the 17th head coach in the history of Texas Southern Football. McKinney has a task ahead as the program has only had 28 winning seasons in 73 years of existence and hasn't recorded a winning season since 2000.
• McKinney won as a student at Yates High School and helped the University of Mary post three winning seasons as a student-athlete in college which made school history. As head coach at Yates, McKinney posted a mark of 30-8 over three years before moving on to the collegiate ranks as an assistant. As an assistant at Houston, Texas A&M and Arizona, McKinney has only experienced two losing seasons in his 11 years of collegiate coaching.
• Despite its proximity to the city of Houston, TSU has not played in the city of San Antonio since 2000 against Grambling State during a classic game. TSU fell 26-17 to GSU as the game was played in the Alamodome.
• Texas Southern has not won a non-conference game against an NCAA FCS opponent since a 28-3 win over Morris Brown College in 2002. Prior to that, it was a 17-12 win over Norfolk State in 2000.
• Texas Southern has not defeated a Southland Conference opponent since a 26-20 win over Sam Houston State in 1996.
• UIW is the first of two Southland Conference opponents this season as the Tigers will face Houston Baptist on Sept. 28.
Print Friendly Version
Courtesy: TSU Athletics