TSUSports.com: Iowa State Pulls Away From TSU In Back-and-Forth Contest

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_5778.jpg

AMES, Ia. - A fourth quarter surge by Iowa State was the difference as Texas Southern fell 79-59 on Tuesday.

TSU went straight at the Cyclones to open the game as they closed out the first quarter ahead 12-11. ISU regained a 14-12 lead at the 9:27 mark of the second quarter but a jumper by TSU's Namiko Adams tied the game at 14-all. ISU answered with a three-pointer on the ensuing possession and didn't relinquish the lead but TSU continued to fight as they were within one point on three occasions from that point. With 2:02 left, Niya Mitchell's jumper drew TSU within 28-26 and TSU had a chance to tie or move ahead immediately thereafter but turned the ball over after a missed basket by ISU. ISU scored to move ahead 30-26 with a minute left and added a free throw to close out the half ahead 31-26.

The Tigers stayed within striking distance to open the third quarter as they were within three points on several occasions. Down 40-37 with 3:38 remaining, ISU scored the next four points to up its lead to 44-37 but Niya Mitchell's basket cut the deficit to 44-39. ISU went on a 6-0 run to push its lead to double digits at 49-39 but Ciani Cryor's trey and Mitchell's free throw in the final 23 seconds cut TSU's deficit to 50-43 entering the final quarter.

Once again, ISU went ahead by double digits (54-43) with 8:50 remaining in the game but TSU kept charging back as Ataiya Bridges nailed a three-pointer to spark an 8-2 run which saw the Tigers pull to within 56-51 with 7:38 left. However, Iowa State responded with an 8-0 run to move ahead 64-51 over the next two minutes and never looked back as TSU couldn't recover.

Mitchell led TSU with a season-high 27 points while grabbing eight rebounds with six steals. Cryor added 13 points with six rebounds and six assists along with three steals. Lauren Lewis also had a season-best seven rebounds and three blocks in her first start of the year.

TSU is back in action Friday afternoon as they'll head to Hawai'i for the Bank of Hawai'i Classic. TSU will open with Utah on Friday at 5 p.m. followed by Hawai'i Sunday at 7:30 p.m.

Print Friendly Version

Courtesy: TSU Athletics

Back