Top Student Recruitment

TXSUDFWTIGER

So I just went through the list of valedictorians and salutatorians in Houston and Dallas this year and not one committed to Texas Southern University. This is troubling considering I seen at least three that committed to Prairie View A&M, three committed to University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and one to a HBCU in Virginia named Hampton University. I honestly get more excited to have top students commit to TSU than top athletes and I'm starting to feel like those two shootings on campus last fall and continuous bad press in Houston is damaging our reputation more than I'm willing to accept.

TSU has made so much progress academically and infrastructure wise but it's not being marketed effectively. In the past at least one valedictorian or salutatorian in HISD or DISD committed to TSU ... this year it's 0 .... I'm praying Dr. Lane reads this and understand top student (graduated in the top 10%) recruitment should be a priority ... not just blanket student recruitment, we need a concerted effort to recruit bright and ambitious students. There's no reason why TSU shouldn't be competitive in recruiting these student ... beautiful campus, we're in the heart of the city, great academic programs, caring faculty, I mean how the hell is country ass UAPB beating us in top student recruitment

Last edited:
I just read the profiles of the valedictorians/salutatorians in Austin and San Antonio this year and not one is going to TSU .... but I did see two headed to PV. This is still of course baffling to me b/c I feel like we are definitely in a position to compete more for those students .... we now have an engineering school which normally draw very smart students, new buildings, new president, etc. And I honestly feel we are better than PV

This is a problem like I said before, I've been pushing (behind the scenes) to change the image and reputation of TSU as a hardcore party school to a pleasant fun school with a serious academic agenda. The "typical" freshmen that I've seen headed to TSU over the years do not generally look like serious students who will "add" to the university but just there b/c they have nothing else to do and they want to party or do stupid shit (aka college thugs and thugettes). However, I did recently meet freshmen (non-typical freshmen) who are in our honors college (I'm a honors college alum) and they got their shit together .... all had above average ACT/SAT scores, they're well spoken, high college GPAs, landed awesome internships, super ambitious, and they actually add to the prestige of the university .... we need more of them .... the Honors College is the epitome of excellence at TSU. I've reached out to the Honors College director to help with recruitment, I would like to see the college reach over 500 students.

Remember only TSU alums who clearly love their university can speak negatively about TSU, anyone else who have not paid their dues to do so will get attacked just FYI lol

Last edited:
I think we need more work opening up the engineering degrees will help but I think the new library will get us over the hump

Back