Texas Southern Basketball Thread

Dynamite

This is a thread to post all Texas Southern Basketball news!:)

Texas Southern clinched the 2013 Southwestern Athletic Conference regular season championship and said goodbye to four seniors on the Tigers basketball team.

Dexter Ellington, Kyrie Sutton, Fred Sturdivant and Omar Strong concluded their collegiate careers in grand fashion helping Texas Southern to its first SWAC regular season title since the 2010-11 season.

I want to know if anyone knows anyone knows any of the recruits that are being brought in to replace these seniors specifically Omar Strong and Fred Sturdivant.

There's a few people who have knowledge of this better than I do. They still need to sign up for the boards though. They'll be here soon...

This information is from TSUBall.com:

HOUSTON- Texas Southern University head men’s basketball coach Mike Davis has announced the signing of three basketball standouts for the 2013-14 campaign. Christian McCoggle (6-8, 210, Dallas, Texas, Wilmer Hutchins HS), Julian Reese (6-3, 210, Lavergne, Tenn., Georgia Perimeter College), and Tyree Bynum (6-1, 180, Philadelphia, Pa., Penn Wood HS) have all committed to joining the Texas Southern Men’s basketball program next season.

“When we started this process we sought talented, high character young men with a strong work ethic,” said Davis. “We’re very pleased with the student-athletes that we were able to bring into our program and we think they will all have an impact on the men’s basketball program at Texas Southern and will become the foundation for championship level performances on the court, in the classroom and throughout the campus community.”

Davis on Reese:
“He attacks the goal well and has a strong perimeter game. He is very clever with his ability to score the basketball and he has a very high basketball IQ. He has a great knack for finding ways to score points and he is a true student of the game. He is playing in a high level junior college program and that will prepare him to hit the ground running when he arrives on campus.”

Davis on McCoggle:
“Has a huge upside and we look forward to watching him have a very special career at Texas Southern. Christian brings with him an outstanding work ethic and he is committed to getting better each day. He is a very skilled 6-8 player that respects the game and the work that is required to be successful at this level. He is probably still growing and will bring some much needed size to our roster.”

Davis on Bynum:
“Very skilled player that knows how to breakdown defenses and has great deep and mid-range shooting ability. He is also a very tough player that understands the game well and is very excited about joining our program. He has been groomed on Philadelphia basketball and is currently one of the leading scorers in the state.”

Got some wind of a few other recruits in this thread:
http://www.tigerfans.net/boards/showthread.php?tid=33

New recruits signed! Has anyone seen these recruits play in person.

HOUSTON- The Texas Southern University Men’s Basketball team has announced the signing of three student-athletes to National Letters of Intent. The Tigers are pleased to announce that Vicktor Arnick, Victor Haywood, and Jose Rodriguez will join the team next season.

“We feel really good about the players that we were able to sign,” said TSU head coach Mike Davis. We’re able to bring in two perimeter players out of Dallas Carter High School that we feel should be able to contribute immediately in Vicktor Arnick and Victor Haywood. We were also able to bring in a very athletic and talented Junior College player in Jose Rodriguez. When you look at this class there’s definitely a theme that you’ll see which is the fact that all of the young men we’ve signed are solid students and high character individuals.”

With the departure of Southwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Year Omar Strong, and Defensive Player of the Year Fred Sturdivant, the Men’s Basketball coaching staff sought to find players who could step in a fill the void left by those seniors. The coaching staff made it a priority to fill those voids with well rounded individuals that would buy into the team philosophy and goals.

“We try to get all of our players to buy into the fact that they are here to do more than accomplish great things on the basketball court,” said Davis. “When the time comes that they’ve concluded their careers we want them to leave here as well rounded young men with degrees in hand. All of the players we brought in want to be successful in the classroom and they want to be able to compete for championships. Our responsibility as coaches is to help them reach those goals and we feel like with this class we will have a great opportunity to help them reach their full potential both academically and athletically.”

Vicktor Arnick 6-6 Freshman Guard/Small Forward Dallas Carter HS, Dallas, Texas ranked #56 by Texas Hoops
Senior Year Stats (2012-13) 33 games played, 621 points, 17.8 ppg, 50 three point baskets made, 2.2 three pointers made per game, 254 total rebounds, 7.4 rpg, 94 assists, 3.2 apg

Vicktor is a long athletic wing player who can get out and run the floor well in transition. He goes to the basket well in the open floor and has the ability to create off the dribble. He has a smooth stroke from the three point line. He has good speed to run the lanes, is bouncy at the rim and will hit the boards. He is a solid defender with the length and athleticism to get in the passing lanes and create deflections and steals.

Victor Haywood 6-7 Freshman Wing/Forward Dallas Carter HS, Dallas, Texas
Senior Year Stats (2012-13) 35 games played, 388 total points, 12.6 ppg, 34 three point baskets made, 1.8 three pointers made per game, 274 rebounds, 8.4 rpg, 65 total assists, 2.7 apg, 48 blocks, 4.5 bpg

Victor is a good athlete who can hit the spot up three or take his man and post inside. He is a good rebounder, a very good shot blocker, and he runs the floor well in transition. He plays aggressively on the defensive end of the floor and will be relied upon to help bolster the Tiger front courts both offensively and defensively.

Jose Rodriguez 6-6 Junior Guard/Forward Gulf Coast State College, Bronx, New York
Stats (2012-13) 17.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.1 apg, 48% field goal , 44% 3 field goal; 79% free throw

Jose is a solid scorer inside the paint and from behind the 3-point arc. He has really quick moves around the basket and knows how to finish in traffic. He is a solid rebounder and is always in attack mode on the offensive end. He can defend inside as well as on the perimeter. He was a solid performer in one of the top junior college leagues in the country. He will come in ready to contribute.

looks like we have a pretty good class shaping up now im excited to see what the schedule is going to look like

I'm excited too. Even more so with the upcoming basketball championships coming here to Houston

Nelson said:
I'm excited too. Even more so with the upcoming basketball championships coming here to Houston

especially if we make it to the championship game we will have the arena rocking

I think even when we start the tournament, the place will be full of Maroon & Grey! If we get into that championship game... the other teams just better watch out!

has anyone heard any word on the schedule i know it usually comes out late summer but some of the big schools come out with theirs early so we can usually find out what some of our money games are

I haven't seen much yet except for WBB

Women's basketball:
Dec 8 - Kansas http://m.kusports.com/news/2013/may/09/kansas-womens-basketball-releases-noncon-schedule/

hopefully within the next couple of weeks we will start to be able to piece things together until then i will continue to hunt around on other schools message boards

You're right:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/TU_to_open_basketball_season_against_ORU/20130523_94_B1_ULNSUh904276
Dec. 4: Texas Southern

wish we could have gotten them at home hopefully we get some decent teams to come to the HPE to help boost those attendance numbers

I hope we get to play the University of Houston again. I want another shot at them, playing them last year was fun!!!

tsuball10 said:
wish we could have gotten them at home hopefully we get some decent teams to come to the HPE to help boost those attendance numbers

Yeah we need some home-and-home deals but money talks regardless

Dynamite said:
I hope we get to play the University of Houston again. I want another shot at them, playing them last year was fun!!!

Yeah we had that game won. Mistakes killed us at the end. Not to mention the attendance was close to even for both sides! Their student section definitely had their chants together thought. Something we need to adopt ourselves... It makes the games more fun and keeps people coming back for more

Back