New Football Classic in Dallas - SU vs TxSU (2018 & 2019)

We've got 2 years to make it great. When's the last time TSU had a neutral-site game? San Antonio? Tyler?

We've got 2 years to make it great. When's the last time TSU had a neutral-site game? San Antonio? Tyler?
I remember in the mid 2000s (2005 or 2006) we had a neutral game in Tyler I believe versus UAPB. but less than 3,000 showed up. But of course Dallas is way more fun and appealing to have a game ... not even close. The only people I knew who went to that game was my roommate Dad b/c he graduated from TSU and still lived in Tyler area. The last neutral game was last year in Shreveport vs Grambling for the Red River Classic which didn't do to well money wise b/c it rained

The game should be very successful. There's thousands of TSU alumni and supporters (children of TSU graduates, family members of TSU athletes, etc) up here in North Texas. There's just as many SU alumni and supporters here as well. The State Fair Classic was a huge success with 50,000+ fans at the game and a couple more thousand in the area just tailgating and socializing/going to the parties. In fact the State Fair Classic is bigger than the TCU vs SMU football game which drew only 30K this year (good weather) ... both school are in the same metroplex and still can't out play the excitement and anticipation of the State Fair Classic.

Now we tried to have a classic in Dallas in 08 and 09 against UAPB called the Lone Star Classic and it didn't work for serval reasons.
1) The marketing was terrible
2) It was not during the State Fair
3) Both teams were terrible
4) UAPB isn't a "popular" school unlike SU.
5) And the game was always in late November when it was very cold outside.
6) There's never been a rivalry with UAPB and TxSU ... no real history there. It's just a conference game.

But this is a very big deal and I'll be the first one to purchase a ticket.. SU has a huge following, TSU fan base is growing again, Dallas is an amazing city, both have great bands (better than PV and GSU), SU and TxSU are genuine rivals, it should be great. Dallas is perfect for HBCU football ... there's no HBCU football teams in the area.

Last edited:
Back