2014 TSU FOOTBALL SEASON

TXSUDFWTIGER

I just realized there's no official 2014 Football thread.  We beat CSU last night, 3-0 for the first time since I believe '06 or '07.  I could be wrong.

Our d-line play will pick up once Amir Bloom gets back, until then that line has to step up and play better.  Our pass rush and run defense are not where they need to be, but we're three games in so at this point we might not get much better until Bloom gets back.

Our o-line is much better than last year's line, but they have to get even better if we're to have a season we can be proud of.  There are some new faces playing on that line.  I'm hoping the problem is just chemistry, and if it is maybe they will gel together soon.

We also have a problem with our short yardage running game.  Denson and Potepa are not getting it done.  Some of that is on our line, but some of it also is on them for not running down hill in those short yardage situations.

The good thing is we have a heck of a kicking game so the farther we can keep teams from our end-zone the better off we are.  A lot has to go right for a team to have a successful long drive.  If we keep the number of big plays down, and can keep our defense off the field we'll always be in the game.

Law Dawg said:
Our d-line play will pick up once Amir Bloom gets back, until then that line has to step up and play better.  Our pass rush and run defense are not where they need to be, but we're three games in so at this point we might not get much better until Bloom gets back.

Our o-line is much better than last year's line, but they have to get even better if we're to have a season we can be proud of.  There are some new faces playing on that line.  I'm hoping the problem is just chemistry, and if it is maybe they will gel together soon.

We also have a problem with our short yardage running game.  Denson and Potepa are not getting it done.  Some of that is on our line, but some of it also is on them for not running down hill in those short yardage situations.

The good thing is we have a heck of a kicking game so the farther we can keep teams from our end-zone the better off we are.  A lot has to go right for a team to have a successful long drive.  If we keep the number of big plays down, and can keep our defense off the field we'll always be in the game.

Not too sure when Bloom will be back according to his twitter he has a cast on  so it could be awhile until hes back out there

High-lights:  TSU over CSU

[video=youtube]http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6kCcU2HYPn4[/video]

I hope it's just something they're trying keep from getting worse rather than a major injury

Nelson said:
I hope it's just something they're trying keep from getting worse rather than a major injury
It's the part about the cast I'm concerned about.  Casts cause atrophy, so after the cast comes off he will have to take necessary time to strengthen that area or risk repeat of the injury.  I hope you're right though. 

tsuball10 said:
i do not like our o line and d line play very sloppy
Man, they can definitely do better.  But how you start the season is usually how you end it, so I'm expecting a copious amount of penalties throughout the season.  I mean it's simple, do not hold ... I'm not sure what new strategy they can put in place to stop it.  Holding is my least favorite penalty ... having more than one per quater annoys the heck out of me lol

I truly believe the "repeat offenders" are not being taken out the game. So they haven't no incentive to get it together .... I'll stand corrected.

I am amazed at the talent level this coach has been able to assemble with the ncaa issues and field house issue. What will he be able to do with good facility and no probation. great job tigers. Perhaps get a top flight running back.

BBALLWILL said:
I am amazed at the talent level this coach has been able to assemble with the ncaa issues and field house issue.  What will he be able to do with good facility and no probation.  great job tigers.  Perhaps get a top flight running back.
You're not the only one.  I have been pleasantly surprised with what he has been able to assemble.  I recalled days ago that we would have had our big back if the kid from El Campo had is academic issues together.

Remember this kid, boy could we use him now:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzxjAh1_h8[/video]

Watch today's live stream:
http://www.tigerfans.net/alabama-am-bull-at-texas-southern-tigers-football-live-stream/

I love being right, I called the win and we got it.

4-0.

Ala St. will be a true test ... they're the best in the east.

However that dang on line still need work, the defense still needs fixing ... but fortunately less penalties today.  And keep Smalls as QB is key!

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I love being right, I called the win and we got it.

4-0.

Ala St. will be a true test ... they're the best in the east.

However that dang on line still need work, the difference still needs fixing ... but fortunately less penalties today.  And keep Smalls as QB is key!
Loved the game, TSU is playing hard, still see issue's with o line, special teams, and secondary, recievers were wide open all night, but i think that will improve as the season goes on. My biggest dissapointment is the lack of fan support for these young men who are grinding out there, i've seen high school games with more fan support, but as always the bandwagon will start to fill as the team keeps winning. As a fan im proud of those young men who are still playing hard, and winning.

tsudad said:
Loved the game, TSU is playing hard, still see issue's with o line, special teams, and secondary, recievers were wide open all night, but i think that will improve as the season goes on. My biggest dissapointment is the lack of fan support for these young men who are grinding out there, i've seen high school games with more fan support, but as always the bandwagon will start to fill as the team keeps winning. As a fan im proud of those young men who are still playing hard, and winning.
yeah, we'll see it.  it's been the culture for quite some time.  we'll always have those faithful few who make most or all games but the rest are bandwagon ..... only come for big games or what not.  There's really no excuse why we shouldn't have the best team and running the SWAC. We are the best school in the SWAC in the best city ... enough said. I mean who wouldn't want to go to school near Downtown Houston compared to country and traditionally racist Jackson, MS .... come on.

tsudad said:

i believe the problem is more with the D line not getting enough pressure on the QB and alabama state will pretty much do the same as a&m they want to run the ball and limit the amount of passing they do.

tsuball10 said:
i believe the problem is more with the D line not getting enough pressure on the QB and alabama state will pretty much do the same as a&m they want to run the ball and limit the amount of passing they do.

OK, so what's your score predication for Sat?  Do you feel Homer should share time with Smalls or Smalls should play the whole game?

And welcome onboard, I believe you're new @tsudad.

And by the way another problem is the Houston Chronicle,  our football team is an after thought with them and the only time I remember getting an quality positive coverage is 2010 when we won the SWAC Championship.  I wrote an email to the TSU Athletic department detailing this.  I guess I should write one to directly to the Chron which I have no problem doing .....

But the most they ever write about TSU is only a few sentences, it's ridiculous.  Only the Houston Defender cover them legitimately.

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
OK, so what's your score predication for Sat?  Do you feel Homer should share time with Smalls or Smalls should play the whole game?

And welcome onboard, I believe you're new @tsudad.

And by the way another problem is the Houston Chronicle,  our football team is an after thought with them and the only time I remember getting an quality positive coverage is 2010 when we won the SWAC Championship.  I wrote an email to the TSU Athletic department detailing this.  I guess I should write one to directly to the Chron which I have no problem doing .....

But the most they ever write about TSU is only a few sentences, it's ridiculous.  Only the Houston Defender cover them legitimately.

if we can contain ASU running game we will win the game and there is not part of me that thinks Homer should start.Smalls should play the entire game Homer does not get the job done simple as that

tsuball10 said:
if we can contain ASU running game we will win the game and there is not part of me that thinks Homer should start.Smalls should play the entire game Homer does not get the job done simple as that
I am new, and thank you. Just started following TSU ball since my son has enrolled there, but your right about the Hou Chron, i see every school except Tsu, and i also think Smalls should start and continue to play, he's been very productive passing, and running, plus to me he has the better arm, and the offense just looks better with him. Hopefully coach sees this as well, you always take the player that gives you the best chance to win, right now thats Smalls.

tsudad said:
I am new, and thank you. Just started following TSU ball since my son has enrolled there, but your right about the Hou Chron, i see every school except Tsu, and i also think Smalls should start and continue to play, he's been very productive passing, and running, plus to me he has the better arm, and the offense just looks better with him. Hopefully coach sees this as well, you always take the player that gives you the best chance to win, right now thats Smalls.

+1!!!

I know Homer was rusty, but he and the offense overall were not gelling together. When Causey's helmet came off and Smalls came in, the offense seemed to click. Smalls seems to step into the pocket before running away from the collapsing pocket, while Causey seems to try and run immediately.

Back